When I found out I was expecting twins, one of my most researched items for me was the stroller. I read and watched countless reviews on twin strollers and ultimately we chose the Bugaboo Donkey. It is definitely a game-changer for twin parents.
Today we will dive into every aspect of this must-have stroller for twins, from its specifications to its impressive unique features. We’ll explore the pros and cons, dive into the quality and comfort it offers. So let’s get into the review and answer the ultimate question: would I buy it again?
What is the Bugaboo Donkey?
The Bugaboo Donkey is truly a one-of-a-kind strollerstroller. It’s innovative design and plethora of features make it a must-have for not just twin parents but any parent on the go.
First and foremost, the Bugaboo Donkey is all about convenience and versatility. It is designed to adapt seamlessly to your needs, whether you have one child or two. With just a few simple adjustments, this stroller can easily transform from a single stroller to a double stroller, accommodating siblings or twins without any hassle.
The Bugaboo Donkey offers an abundance of storage space. Its spacious under seat basket can hold up to 22 pounds, allowing you to bring along everything you need for a day out with ease. From diaper bags to groceries, this stroller can handle it all.
In terms of maneuverability, the Bugaboo Donkey doesn’t disappoint. With its large foam-filled wheels and responsive suspension system, this stroller glides effortlessly over any terrain. This is definitely one of the easiest strollers to push even with twins.
The Bugaboo Donkey is also compatible with car seats. With the use of adapters, you can effortlessly attach popular car seat models to the stroller, allowing for seamless transitions from car to stroller and back again.
Pros of the Bugaboo Donkey
- Versatile: The Bugaboo Donkey can transform from a single stroller to a double stroller in just a few simple steps. You can also use a toddler seat and bassinet seat together if your kids are really close in age.
- Newborn Bassinets: stroller can be used from birth with the bassinet attachments. We used these for about 4-5 months.
- Seat supports the same weight for each seat, up to 50 pounds per seat.
- Can be used from 0-4 years old.
- Adjustable handlebar position.
- All fabrics are machine washable.
- Car seat compatibility making it usable from 0 months.
- Ample storage space: its large under-seat basket, you can easily fit all of your baby essentials and then some.
- High-quality materials: designed to withstand the wear and tear of daily use.
- Fits through standard doors.
- The Bugaboo Donkey handling is amazing. It has a great suspension system with a really easy push.
- Fully Customizable – you can choose your sun canopy color and the type depending on the season. Add footmuffs when it’s winter and cooling liners when it’s summer.
Cons of the Bugaboo Donkey
- The stroller to be on the heavier side. This can make it a bit challenging to lift and transport.
- It can be quite wide and may make navigating through narrow doorways or crowded spaces a bit tricky.
- When the car seats are attached, it does not fit through standard doors.
- The Bugaboo Donkey’s price point is on the higher end compared to other strollers on the market.
The Bugaboo Donkey is designed to accommodate growing families with ease, offering multiple configurations to suit your needs. With just a few clicks, you can effortlessly convert this stroller from a single to a double.
The Bugaboo Donkey, when set up as a twin configuration, weighs 32.8 pounds and can hold up 50 pounds per seat.
When opened, the stroller is:
Lowest handlebar position
- Depth of 33.5 inches
- 29 inches wide (same as Zoe Twin)
- 43.7 inches high
Highest handlebar position
- Depth of 41.7 inches
- 29 inches wide (same as Zoe Twin)
- 43.7 inches high
Compact two-piece fold
- Depth of 35 inches
- 23.6 inches wide
- 13.8 inches high
One piece self-standing fold
- Depth of 20.5 inches
- 29 inches wide
- 35.4 inches high
The stroller is not as compact when folded compared to other options on the market. It is definitely on the heavier side as compared to something like the Zoe Twin which only weighs 19 pounds. However, the quality of this stroller is extremely superior.
Every aspect of the Bugaboo Donkey is designed with durability in mind, allowing it to withstand the rigors of daily use without any compromise in performance. From the sturdy frame to the high-quality materials used throughout, this stroller is built to last.
The wheels swivel and turn with extreme ease. It is extremely light to push. The front wheels are 10 inches and the rear wheels are 12 inches. They are almost double of the Zoe Twin which would explain the extremely smooth and easy handling of this stroller.
We started using ours when the twins were newborns and we still use it to this day (almost daily). For us it is still holding up really well.
The Bugaboo Donkey stroller is really sleek looking. You can choose many color combinations which I think is a really nice addition. The stroller is beautiful, heavy duty and extremely durable.
The Donkey’s seat has been thoughtfully designed with their ultimate comfort in mind. Crafted with plush padding and a supportive structure, it offers a luxurious seating experience for your little passengers.
The Donkey’s seat is fully adjustable, allowing you to customize it to suit your child’s needs. Whether your little one prefers a more reclined position for napping or an upright stance to observe the surroundings, the seat can be easily adjusted with just a few clicks. You can also adjust the seats to face you or face away from you. I personally love this feature.
The seat is equipped with a secure five-point harness, you can trust that your child is securely fastened into the stroller.
Additionally, the Donkey’s seat is designed with easy maintenance in mind. From spills and crumbs to inevitable messes, the seat’s fabric is removable and machine washable, making cleanup a breeze. This practical feature ensures that your stroller is always fresh and ready for your next outing.
The canopy provides ample sun protection for your little one. Whether you’re strolling through a park on a sunny day or running errands under a scorching sun, the Donkey’s canopy has you covered – literally.
The canopy has a zipper option allowing you to extend as needed. The expandable design ensures that your child is shielded from harmful UV rays, while also allowing for plenty of airflow to keep them cool and comfortable.
It also boasts a built-in peekaboo window, allowing you to keep an eye on your child without interrupting their nap or stroll time. The canopy on the Bugaboo Donkey is stylish and customizable. You can switch out the colors and types based on season.
The under-seat basket of the Bugaboo Donkey is exceptionally roomy, providing plenty of space to stash your diaper bag, snacks, toys, and anything else you might need while out and about. It can support up to 22 pounds of storage.
But that’s not all—the Bugaboo Donkey also features a convenient side luggage basket, allowing you to expand your storage options even further. This detachable bag provides an additional 22 pounds of space. This would only work if the stroller is in mano mode.
This is definitely not my favorite thing about the Bugaboo. At first I was having a really hard time folding it. However, with time and practice it has become really easy. I always take off the 2 seats first and then fold the stroller. You can fold it with the seats but it would just be way too heavy and bulky to fit in the car truck.
Comparing it to the Zoe Twin, it definitely wins the fold category hence why I love using the Zoe Stroller for running errands, going to stores or anywhere where the stroller has to come with us in the car.
The bugaboo I have an older model, the newest model of the bugaboo donkey mentions that there is an an improved folding and unfolding mechanism.
Accessories for the Bugaboo Donkey
With the purchase of the new Bugaboo Donkey Twin stroller there are a few things already included:
Chassis with wheels: The base and hardware you’ll need to assemble your stroller. Comes with a full set of wheels, wheel caps & pre-assembled grips.
Bassinet & seat frames:Easily attach the frames to the chassis with a click. Complete it with the bassinet and seat fabrics.
Bassinet & seat fabrics: The bassinet fabric comes with a bassinet apron, and the seat fabric includes a comfort harness.
Aerated mattress: Made from high performance 3D mesh to regulate your baby’s temperature. Includes mattress foam, mattress cover and aerated inlay.
- Two Sun Canopies: New design including the signature peekaboo window. incudes the canopy fabric, wires and clamps.
Rain covers: Protects your child from last minute weather changes. Easily install it onto your stroller in seconds.
Side luggage basket & underseat basket: Offers plenty of storage options for your strolls. Maximum capacity 22 lbs in each basket.
- Twin extension set: Complete extension set for a second twin, including the frames & fabrics for a second seat and bassinet.
There are a few additional accessories you can purchase for the twin stroller:
- Bugaboo Newborn Inlay: The Bugaboo newborn inlay is the essential extra layer of warmth and protection every baby needs for the first months of their life. It features a handy inner strap to keep them comfortably in place, and soft cotton fabrics specifically made for their sensitive skin.
- Bugaboo Mosquito Net: The perfect solution for keeping your baby’s skin protected from nasty mosquito bites.
- Bugaboo Seat Liner: The Bugaboo Dual Comfort Seat Liner keeps baby cool and dry year-round. Fully reversible, it features two sides.
- Breeze Sun Canopy: Offering head-to-toe shade and UPF 50+ sun protection (UPF 3+ for mesh panels) and integrated mosquito net fits over the stroller bassinet & seat
- Bugaboo Smartphone Holder: Designed to keep your phone always at hand, the Bugaboo Smartphone Holder comes with an easy click-in system, allowing you to smoothly attach it to your stroller.
- Bugaboo Comfort Wheeled Board + : Ideal for parents going out with a baby and toddler. It was designed to make your stroller more versatile in just a few clicks and will allow you to go for long walks with your children.
- Bugaboo Snack Tray: The snack tray comes with a cup holder and food compartment so your child can enjoy snacks and drinks in a safe upright position while you’re on the move!
- Bugaboo Transport Bag: From baggage claim to the taxi stand, the stroller storage bag takes the headache out of travel! The wheeled, self-standing design offers you a smooth and effortless transition, while the handles and padded shoulder straps provide comfort when lifting or carrying.
Accessories I love & Use:
- Bugaboo Cup Holder: The Bugaboo cup holder lets you bring bottles, cups or other cold beverages along for the ride. I like to attach mine from the inside of the stroller so the stroller is not wider with the cup holder.
- Bugaboo Organizer: The multi-pocket stroller organizer fits any stroller and is ready to use in seconds with the universal attachment. Also converts into a handy tote bag so you’re ready to go wherever.
- Bugaboo Footmuff: The weather-repellent fabric on the outside protects your child from any weather. The cocoon-shaped top provides additional protection from the wind.
What age is Bugaboo Donkey Stroller for?
The bugaboo Donkey Syroller is designed for 0+ months with either car seat adapters or newborn bassinets and can be used up to 4 years old. You truly get lots of use out of this stroller.
Unique Features of the Bugaboo Donkey
The most unique standout feature of the Bugaboo Donkey is its innovative expandable design. Unlike other strollers that may require you to purchase a completely new model as your family grows, the Donkey gives you the option to easily convert it from a single stroller to a double or even a twin stroller. That in it’s self is an amazing feature!
The Donkey comes with a built-in suspension system that provides a smooth and comfortable ride for your child. Whether you’re strolling through uneven sidewalks or tackling rough terrains, the suspension system absorbs shocks and vibrations, ensuring a gentle and pleasant experience for your little one.
Car Seats Compatibility
The Bugaboo Donkey is compatible with several popular car seat brands, including Maxi-Cosi, Cybex, Nuna, and Chicco.
The car seats below are compatible with the Bugaboo Donkey 5 Strollers. All car seats require an adapter to be used with a stroller. There are two types of car seats adapters available for the bugaboo donkey: mono (for one care seat) and twin (for two car seats)
- Bugaboo Turtle One or Turtle Air (with mono adapter or twin adapter
- Chicco KeyFit and KeyFit 30 (with mono adapter or twin adapter for Chicco)
- Clek Liing (with mono adapter or twin adapter)
- Maxi-Cosi Mico series (with mono adapter or twin adapter)
- Nuna PIPA, PIPA RX, PIPA Lite, PIPA Lite R, PIPA Lite RX, and PIPA Lite LX (with mono adapter or twin adapter)
- Cybex Aton series and Cloud Q (with mono adapter or twin adapter)
My Bugaboo Donkey Review and Would I Buy It Again?
This stroller is very pricey and to be honest, I believe its worth every penny. If I calculate the cost per use, it would 100% be paid off already. One of my favorite things to do with my twins is to take them out for stroll rides. We used and still use this stroller sometimes more then once a day. I honestly wonder just how many miles we strolled with this stroller because my guess would be A LOT.
The Donkey addresses the ability to transition from using a car seat to a bassinet or a stroller seat seamlessly. This eliminates the need for a separate travel system, saving both time and money. It’s incredibly convenient to have one stroller that can accommodate my twins changing needs as they grow from infancy to toddlerhood.
It’s built to last, with high-quality materials that can withstand the wear and tear of daily use. We have used this stroller for almost 3 years now and almost DAILY!
If you are deciding if this stroller is right for your family, I can guarantee you will love it as much as I do.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much room does the Bugaboo take up in the car?
I would say it takes up a lot of space compared to something like the Twin Zoe. Ill put the two pictures side by side (please excuse my messy car!!)
I hope this was extremely helpful in helping you decide which stroller to go with and if you have any questions at all, leave them below!